Monday, March 3, 2014

How we started

Hello again. 


Jim and I got married in 1961, when he was 20 and I was 19.  If you see pictures of us you would want to know, "Who let those kids get married?"  We had two children in 1963 - 64.  After some experiences as hosts for American Indian children during the summers we learned it was easy for us to accept others in our home.  We were at home, and they felt at home too.  I also had experiences babysitting children who were on Ritalin, and who were difficult to work with.  They were just like me!   Finally, people with my energy.  People used to say to me, "You should take foster children, you would be good at it."


1968 - We went to the county to find information, and they gave us a child!  No training, nothing.  We filled out the paperwork, they did the fingerprint, and we had a child.


We were so nervous when she first came to the door.  We didn't know what we were supposed to do.  She, however, had been through this too many times.  At 8 years old, her black pony tails bouncing as she moved, she grabbed my hands, looked up at me, and said, "Hi, my name's Geneva, and I'll call you mom if you let me stay."


We were hooked!



No comments:

Post a Comment