Thursday, February 20, 2014

Something about me



Whenever I meet someone new the first thing they want to know is the why and how I got started in this very full life I lead.  I would like to share that with you, because I would also like to know how other people got started in foster care, and why.


I was what was called "back in the day", a precocious child.  Actually, children were to be seen and not heard, but what I learned was that girls weren't even to be seen.  My mother said I was born with an opinion, so this never set well with me.  I was reading way before I went to school, and  by age 6, I read 2 newspapers a day.  I especially loved Eleanor Roosevelt, and looked for what she said and did , as the first thing when I opened the newspaper.  One day I read that she was in a foreign country where they sacrificed little girls to the temple gods.  I was incensed!  I was going there and rescue those little girls.  That was the beginning, way back in 1948-49.


Not only did I want to work with children, I wanted to serve the Lord.  I very much felt called to serve.  What would I be doing?  How could I help?  I decided I needed to be a teacher, so I went to college to become a teacher.  That was definitely not the right path.  I blew up the chemistry lab, shorted out the physics lab, the music teacher said I had one note, and it was off....you get the point.  I was good at English, History, and Shakespeare.  I was very interested and did very well in psychology and anthropology.  That is the direction I went. 


I graduated with 13 kids, 3 dogs, 2 cats and 4 birds - but I graduated.


More tomorrow about how I started.


No comments:

Post a Comment