Friday, May 23, 2014

some info about sexual abuse

When we took or first children we knew nothing about sexual abuse.  When we began to see sexualized behaviors in small children we were more than shocked.  I asked our social workers and probation officers about what we were observing.  Everyone told us we weren't seeing what we were most certainly seeing.
I went to the university library and searched for books on the subject.  I found one book on incest, but that book claimed it was a problem with displaced persons in New York City.  I knew I wasn't crazy, and that I was really observing sexual behaviors in small children.
One of my professors suggested I keep track of my observations, and also, of the interventions I did, which ones helped the children.  I did just that, and I teach a class on sexual abuse every-other month for my  agency.
The month of June that class will be June 12th, from 6:30 - 8:30.  If you are interested in attending, call the office at 916/489-5316, and make a reservation.  If you would like some of the materials, although some of the visuals I cannot fax or email, I will be glad to share with you.  Just let me know.
More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment