Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Talk, talk, talk

I never cease to admire the differences in personalities of the children.  I see them in everything we do.  One similarity I see is they show how they think in every thing they do.  We talk about every day things with the children during dinner.  We discuss what is in the news, how laws and rules come to be made, and how we choose our behaviors.
When the group home was here we used to do "Perception papers."  They each thought the other was loved more, more beautiful, smarter, etc.   That was a great discussion, I'm glad I was there to be a part of that.
One time we got the "cars for sale" part of the newspaper and the children pretended they were buying a car.  One girl picked a car with over 90,000 miles.  She thought the miles meant what you had left on the car. I'm glad I didn't miss that discussion either.
We don't spend time telling the children what they should do, but information in general is something you can do without argument, disagreement, and it is so helpful to them for learning, and helpful for us understand where they are coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment